First 10, Winning Congregations Announced for Virginia's #MillionHeartsChallenge
On November 24, 2014, the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Minority Health and Health Equity (OMHHE) launched Virginia’s 100 Congregations for Million Hearts initiative with the #MillionHeartsChallenge, a social media call to action for Virginia’s faith-based organizations to commit to increasing the heart health of their members. Over the next year, OMHHE plans to sign up over 100 congregations around the state with the goal to improve heart health among members!
To jump start the initiative, OMHHE offered the first 10 faith-based organizations that joined free customized resources, including 100 blood pressure tracking cards and heart health toolkit packages. OMHHE congratulates the first 10, winning faith-based organizations:
- St. Paul Reform Zion Union Apostolic Church – Suffolk, VA
- Herald of His Coming Church – Norfolk, VA
- Beraen Community Church – Norfolk, VA
- Living Waters Christian Fellowship – Newport News, VA
- Cathedral of Faith – Chesapeake, VA
- Garden of Hope, Inc. Community Development Corp. – Norfolk, VA
- New Light Full Gospel Baptist Church – Virginia Beach, VA
- Tabernacle of Praise Ministries International – Richmond, VA
- Islamic Center of Virginia – North Chesterfield, VA
- Ebenezer Baptist Church – Newport News, VA
To date approximately 15 faith-based organizations have joined the Virginia’s 100 Congregations initiative. To bring your faith-based organization on board, complete the sign up form available at: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/omhhe/VA100congregations.htm and return to Augustine Doe at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (804) 864-7436 for more information. OMHHE and its collaborative partners will continue to offer assistance to joining faith-based organizations in planning and implementing activities related to this initiative.